*

*

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More AQC & a Package in the Mail

Here are some more pics from the AQC


Kim McLean was the featured artist and her quilts were magnificent.  This one is called Lollypop tree.  The colours are so vibrant!

The Rosebuck Quilt Redone 2001

Turkish Tiles

Stars & Sprigs

All Of Kim McLean's quilts were magnificent and I was so grateful to see them "in the flesh".

This quilt is called Trinity Hall by Susanne Cody, another famous Australian quilter.  I loved this quilt for many reasons, one of which is how she has displayed the beautiful toile fabric in the centre.

I loved how Susanne Cody used little hexagons for her initials in the quilt.

I am just starting to get into fussy cutting and I found it interesting how quilters can see something in a piece of fabric that will create a stunning piece of applique like the flower above.


Ancient Watercourse by Gloria Loughman.  This quilt was the Rajah Winner in 2009







These are my purchases that I came home with, the most special being the V & A Museum book.

And this yummy parcel arrived for me on Tuesday.  I won a prize from Mayleen.  She had a guessing competition on her blog regarding an old hexagon quilt and I won!  Thank you Mayleen, it was great fun.

Well this has been another mammoth post for me.  Some people (Howard & Nic!) in this house have been watching far too many U Tube videos and as a result have used up all our download credit and we have been slowed down.  It has taken nearly two hours to upload these photos but not to worry, I have been stitching some of Swan Lake while waiting.

Sue-Anne xxx

24 comments:

Karen said...

I know it is never going to happen but I would love to visit a big quilt show in your country. The quilt styles on so many of them are different. Such a treat for the eyes.

Nat Palaskas said...

All beautiful Sue-Anne, you bought more than me :( hahaha! I love Gloria Loughman's quilts. I've met her in Spain one year. She was teaching a workshop, but I wasn't in her workshop. I wish I was now. Congratulations on winning the prize - Have a great day - Hugs Nat

Annette said...

What a fun prize you won. And thanks for sharing the awesome quilts. So fun to look at.

Julia said...

I would love to see Kim's quilts...what a great show they must have made...You did well with the shopping too...what fun! Julia ♥

Karen said...

Lots of great purchases! My favourite quilt is the Turkish Tiles.

Mayleen said...

Someday! sigh. My favorite is also the Turkish Tiles with Stars and Sprigs a close second.

Béa said...

Wonderful quilt show, thanks for sharing.
Lot of greats purchases :)... I especialy love the fabrics and Floral Beauty pattern.

Madammeke Ongeduld said...

what a beautiful plaids on jour blog

Sweet Cinnamon Stitches said...

I enjoyed seeing all the show quilts....thanks for sharing.
Jane.

Shirley said...

I think Kim Mclean is fantastic. I have a few of her patterns just ready and waiting.....
Love your purchases, it looks like you are going to be a busy girl. If Howard and Nic are reading - you are naughty boys. There is some pretty amazing stuff on You Tube mind. If ever you need to know how to do something then someone out there has made a how to video. Enjoy your goodies.
Shirley.x

katrien said...

Thanks for sharing some pictures,i like the hexagonnequilt.
You byed some nice things.

Elyte said...

Hi Sue-Anne I like your pics of the AQC. I also have a couple to show. Would you mind if I link back to your post as my pics are all different.

Barb said...

wow - beautiful quilts!
congrats on the prize. thanks for the inspirational post!

wilmakuin said...

Wonderful quilts!! Thanks for sharing.

Brandie said...

Oh to see Kim McLean's quilt in the flesh! I wasn't that into all the color of her quilts at first, but now I love how she uses the color. Wow! The talent that must have been in that room alone, I'm still jealous. I need to beg, borrow and steal to get to your next show.

Daniëlle said...

Oh Sue-Anne!!! Thanks so much for the pictures!! Your purchases are all gorgeous!! Lovely quilted crow pattern and noticed you bought the woollens to make it? happy sewing, Daniëlle

Joan said...

Those quilts are truly beautiful - and what fantastic purchases you made. The Perth quilt and Craft show is on here in a week or so and I hope to see some great quilts there too. Will need to keep my hands in my pocket though :)

Lurline said...

Oh, Sue-Ann, I was sure I commented on this great post - thanks so much, so sorry I wasn't there!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Sandra Henderson said...

Where to being?! AMAZING Quilts! Of course, you know my love of toile!and the use of hexies to write initials and date is a great idea! Australian quilters have a unique way of mixing old w/new colors/patterns to create the most stunning quilts! Yes, the V&A Book is a treasure!Mine arrived and I'm savouring it! Slow internet is my life...I don't know any other way. Oh well, small price to pay to be able to find new friends such as yourself! So grateful for you sharing these photos! :)

Terry said...

great post. Love the lollypop tree. Really intresting combinations of colors
Nice prize.and books

FIONA said...

Beautiful quilts Sue-Anne - wish I had made it to Melbourne to attend the quilt show! Thanks for sharing your photos!

Anonymous said...

Sue-Anne,

I enjoyed all the photos - thanks for "taking" me to the quilt show with you! :)

Ineke Original said...

Wow! This is fantastic. Wish I did learn it when I was young.
greetings from Holland,
Ineke

Irene B said...

It was such a thrill to see that you bought my pattern Floral Beauty. I am always happy when women love my patterns enough to buy them.

Irene