*

*

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Quilts in the Barn 2013

We had a fantastic day on Friday at Quilts In The Barn!  It was so much fun catching up with quilting friends and once again Linda and her fabulous helpers did a fantastic job.  The theme this year was "All About Chintz".  The quilts were magnificent and included quilts from the Quiltmania book "Promenade in a Dutch Garden".  There were also some beautiful antique quilts but unfortunately no photos were allowed.  On the shopping front,  Mary Koval was there, Leonie from the Quilted Crow and Di & Megan were in charge of all the beautiful fabrics available from Petra Prins.  So sit back and I hope you enjoy some of the photos that I took on the day.













I was particularly interested in how spectacular the border fabrics looked and also how the chintz mixed beautifully with the reproduction fabrics that we all have in our stashes.


 This was the section of the barn where Mary Koval was selling her wares - very popular!!!

This was one of the quilts Mary had for sale and it was lovely.  You can see all the antique tops for sale on the table below.  There were lots of individual blocks for sale and the most exquisite fabrics.

 I came home with this piece of fabric, dated 1870.  The red in it is gorgeous and I have a plan for it too.

I am planning to use it as a central panel in a quilt.

I also came home with this applique block, dated 1850.  It is 12 inches square and is going in a frame and then will be hung on the wall in my sewing room.  

This is the dutch fabric I bought and I think I am going to have lots of fun with it, the colours are gorgeous!

After the Barn, we made our way across the suburbs of Melbourne visiting quilt shops along the way and the following is the result of that shopping.  I actually got a bit of a shock when I saw how much I came home with.



Sue-Anne xxx

25 comments:

Béa said...

Really wonderful, how lucky you are. I think I will buy the Quiltmania's book.

Judith said...

No shock needed! THE fabrics you bought are gorgeous! Great idea to frame THE block of THE 1850! Enjoy your sunday.

Sue said...

Looks fabulous, you did a great job enhancing your stash.

Cardygirl said...

Looks like lots of fun...glad you enjoyed yourself!

marianne said...

You can see that You had a wonderfull day.
Thank You for sharing the pictures

Anonymous said...

They are all lovely quilts Sue-Anne, but I particularly like the blue antique quilt for sale by Mary Koval. The block you bought is just gorgeous, a great idea to frame it. Lots of nice fabrics you bought. Ann

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are gorgeous! I can only imagine seeing these up close and personal..thanks for sharing.

Sharon~Two Bits Patches said...

I'm glad that applique block found a good home. It certainly was an inspiring day.

Susan said...

So much lovely inspiration at the exhibition, and lovely purchases to inspire as well. I think you could organise a patchwork shopping trip.

antique quilter said...

oh my what an inspirational day this must have been
love the fabric purchases and your block purchase is perfect.
love the idea of framing it and hanging it in your room
thanks for sharing your day with us.
Kathie

Shirley said...

Glad you got to go in the end. I can feel your excitement. Lots of purchases of which I shall look forward to seeing the plans for. The sheep fabric is beautiful. My favourite quilt of Petra's that you showed was the little one with the star in the centre. I could have taken that one home with me. Sounds like you had a great day out.x

Terry said...

The Antique Dutch quilts I saw a couple years ago were stunning. So glad you had a great day. All your purchases will be treasured memories.

Julia said...

Wow, Sue-Anne what amazing quilts, I would have loved to have been there to see them.
Great fabric choices...look forward to what you come up with them.
Julia ♥

David said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of the exhibition. I would have loved to visit QITB but France is too far away...

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Absolutely beautiful quilts and gorgeous fabrics! A great day!

Jossie said...

Wonderful photos Sue-Anne. I am a little bit proud to be Dutch ;-) Those chintz fabrics (we call them sitsen) are really beautiful and so are the quilts made of it. You were lucky to enjoy all of it in person. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- thank you so much for sharing your day. I've been reading with interest -- you guys are so lucky to see those gorgeous quilts. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that beautiful red print with the sheep that you bought -- just gorgeous!

Barb said...

Ooooh La La Those chintz quilts are something else! I love them.
Thanks for sharing some inspiration! what a treat to be there in person.

Chookyblue...... said...

thanks for sharing some pics of the quilts..........you sure did some great shopping........

Elyte said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day. We went on the Saturday and I loved them all.
Great purchases, do your magic on them and turn them into some of your beautiful quilts.

Odry said...

Que día tan esplendido. Me alegro.
Los edredones me han encantado. Magnificos los de quiltmania.
Gracias por compartir imagenes par alas que nos lo perdimos y lo seguimos en al distancia.

Saludos :)

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

It's so nice to re-visit the exhibit through your photos. I'm looking forward to seeing what you will make with the antique sheep fabric.

Anonymous said...

Really wonderful this fabrics and exclusive every thinks. bdtrainer

Anonymous said...

Really wonderful this fabrics and exclusive every thinks. bdtrainer

Lori said...

Looks like it was a super quilty day in every way!!