*

*

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Show & Tell and a Kitchen Mishap




This is Helen's quilt that she made for her son's 18th out of brown and blue reproductions.  It is called Walnut Hill and is a pattern from Patchwork on Stonleigh.



On Friday we helped Michelle make a quilt for her parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  We managed to get all the stars sewn, then attached the sashing strips.  Michelle finished it off over the next couple of days and sent us progress photos of it. 

The quilt was made using an old 3 Sisters range called Wuthering Heights and she was lucky enough to find meterage for the border.


This is the Disappearing 9 patch from last post.  It is my mother's 80th birthday on Saturday and I made this for her.  The binding is stitched down and the label has been signed by all the kids and attached to the back.



Our eldest son, Christopher celebrated his 26th birthday on the weekend.  I decided I would make him a giant cupcake.  I have a special tin to make it with and it requires a double quantity of cake batter.  The above picture is how it looks.  I chose to make Chocolate Ganash icing to put on the top.  This pic below is the end result.....

I was worried about burning it and decided it was cooked (it looked like it was) and stupidly I didn't stick a skewer in to check.  I thought there was something amiss when it took a while to lift out of the tin.  To my horror, there was a massive hole in the centre of the bottom layer and it wasn't cooked all the way through.  I had already used a whole packet of chocolate for the icing, so I decided to cut up the cooked bits and ice them with the ganash.  This was at 4pm and as I was about to put the roast in the oven, I didn't have time to make another cake.  Thank God for the Cheesecake Shop is all I can say.



The weather has been really cold but beautiful sunny days and we have been sitting outside in the afternoon to warm up with the sun.  This is my guard dog Buddy.  He was concentrating very hard listening for the dog next door, ready to chase him up and down the fence line with his ferocious bark!

Milo, on the other hand, was quite content to lay in the sun and have a rest.  This photo was taken with my iphone.  Turned out pretty good I think.

Sue-Anne xxx

26 comments:

katrien said...

Oh,such a lovely quilts.You maked a lovely one for you mothers 80th birthday.She will be happy with it.
Congrats for the 26th birthday for your son.
Have a nice time.

Linda C said...

Love the brown and blue combination, an all time favorite of mine. Congratulations to your mum on her 80th birthday, mine turns 80 next year.
Some days in the kitchen can be like that!!!
Linda.

Shirley said...

I cannot make cakes to save my life. They would make very good rubble before laying concrete!!!! haha. Lucky I can make a quilt. Lovely quilts to look at and what a great thing to do to help each other out with the quiltmaking. Just proves my theory that quiltmakers are such lovely, generous people.
Your mum will love her quilt.
Shirley.x

Siobhán said...

What beautiful quilts! I never thought of doing a quilt for my kids' 18th. I have twins that just turned 16... that gives me two years to go at it. ;) Happy birthday to your mother and to Christopher! LOL at the picture of your guard dog. As I chased my Cavalier King Charles spaniel this morning as he chased the postman, I explained that he has delusions of being a rottweiler. ;)

Have a good weekend!

Annemieke said...

A lot to see and read in this post! Beautiful quilts. And your disappearing ninepatch looks very good. I was really curious. Happy birthday for your mum and son. All the brown stuff on the picture looks even a bit scary, so close by! But your son looks happy anyway:)
groetjes
Annemieke

Daniëlle said...

What a beautiful quilts!! Love the ... well... all of them actually!! The disap 9patch is such a lovely pattern! the only time Yvette thinks she is a guard dog is when the windowcleaner guy comes along and enters our backgarden oeps she acts like a wolf hahaha!! Happy sewing, hugs, Daniëlle

Nat Palaskas said...

You had a busy week Sue-Anne with all the quilts and cake to finished. Happy birthday to Christopher, my daughter is 26 this year too. How I feel old thinking about it! Enjoy the rest of the week - Hugs Nat

Marjan said...

Hi Sue-Anne,
Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment! I love all of the quilts you show, but mostly... no I can't choose... although... perhaps the disappearing ninepatch... gorgeous! Happy birthday to your mother and your son! I just love your Buddy and your Milo. Have a nice weekend!

Unknown said...

Great Post..Love the Walnut Hill Quilt & the other Stars are Great too...Love a Disappearing 9 patch..always works..I've had mishaps with cakes too...at least most of it will be eaten...Love the lge cupcake.actually the Cheesecake shop is a bit of a tradition in our house now for Birthday's...always a Fav.
cheers

Barb said...

I love the simple star quilt - striking colors.
Did you ever eat the cupcake cake?
Looked good to me

Brandie said...

THe star quilts are amazing! Beautiful colors. So sory about the cupcake. It looked beautiful.
Take care

deb said...

beautiful quilts, but excuse me cuz I now need some CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!

Terry said...

Lovely quilts isn't it nice to be able to share them with those we love?
Sorry to hear about the giant cupcake. If your son is anything like my GD cheesecake shop was fine. Her choice is mud cake from Coles.
Have a good rest of the week I will be stitching in L.A. airport today.

Marieke said...

What a lot of celebrations and quilts and lots of cake. It sure looked okay, too bad it didn't turn out okay, but it was a great idea! Beter luck next time!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving Milo!!! :-) (had to get that out of the way first...kitties always get me)
The quilts are gorgeous! I love fabric choice in all of them. I can't believe how fast you were able to get the one whipped up. :-)

Robyn Jones said...

I love your blog Sue-Anne and must have similar taste to you as i love all your projects. How do you get everything done? I also live in NE Vic. I have had trouble getting through to you but will try again. Robyn J

Sue-Anne said...

Hi Robyn, I couldn't reply to you because you are set to "No Reply" but yes, I received your comment. Where in N E Vic do you live? I live in Wodonga. Thanks for visiting.

Lori said...

Lovely show and tell! That's nice that you all help each other out.
My eldest is 26 too...27 in September. Is your son single? LOL
Lori

Elyte said...

Looks like you had a lot on your plate this post - so much sewing and cooking. Everything looks great, the quilts are beautiful and even the chocolate cake. Just to be able to run my finger through that enticing ganash and have a little taste ...

Julia said...

Great Post Sue-Anne..Love the Walnut Hill Quilt & the Stars too...Love a Disappearing 9 patch..always a great quilt to make..
I'm not much of a baker myself...a cake never turns out for me like the one I try when I get the recipe..

Cubby House Crafts said...

All the quilts are just gorgeous...I am loving the blue and brown combo.
You have been very busy...its getting quite cold here in Tassie too!
Lisa

Suedio said...

Ha ha . . . love the Cheesecake Shop - the source of many birthday cakes in our family. Although I bypass the middle (kitchen) stress and just go there in the first place!

Have a great weekend.

Regards, Sue

Mayleen said...

I have to admit to some baking surprises too! Unfortunately, no cheesecake shop close to us but it sounds wonderful.

The star quilts are really beautiful. It looks like you have accomplished quite a bit!

Buddy, what a helper, and Milo knows how to live life!

Diane H said...

What a chalk-a-block post, Sue-Anne! The quilts are amazing, your mother must have been thrilled. Your son and his cake, I bet you can still picture him as a wee lad with the same sweet smile as if it were yesterday. Sorry about your cake disaster, don't those only ever happen on special occasions!!! What a great picture of Milo - who needs a camera!
Hugs to you.

Karen said...

Helen and Michelle's quilts are lovely and Disappearing 9 Patch is just wonderful. A beautiful gift for your Mom. Love the birthday cupcake and Milo is so sweet!

*karendianne. said...

Awww, look at Milo. What a sweet kitty cat. I love Milo. Helen's quilt is absolutely right up my alley so I'm head over heels on that one and I'm fully impressed with how the quilt came together (fabric and all) for Michelle. The effect of the sashing and cornerstones is really nice. Great to see the DNP, too!!!

Gosh friend, what a delightful post. *karendianne. aka: Goddessa Binx. :)